Friday, December 10, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere else but here....

Okay, I am a Thanksgiving lover. I cherish that holiday with all of my heart, all of the best points of a holiday...Food, friends, Food, family, no pressures other than FOOD! You get to sit around for hours, stuff yourselves, and enjoy great conversation. We always try to round up our friends who don't have family in the area and make sure they have a great meal and spend it with us. We set up a huge table, we cook all day, we listen to music, we watch football (not my choice), we just hang out. It is all of the good things of a holiday with very few expectations.

Christmas is great, don't get me wrong, but it is most definitely the holiday with the most preparation time, and the smallest amount of actual sit and enjoy it time...

As Thanksgiving holds such a special place in my heart, I refuse to let any ounce of Christmas into my home until after the fourth Thursday in November. I actually caved a little in my militant ways this year and started shopping early, to try and get a head start on the chaos. My goal was to be done by December 1st with all of the shopping, so I could sit back, relax, and sip some hot cocoa, wrapping presents by the fire, enjoying my new found freedom from stress at Christmas! HAHAHA, ah, my over-inflated expectation of myself cracks me up sometimes. Of course the hilarity usually hits me much later in the event than this year. Call it my own little Christmas miracle. For you see, it is December 10th, and I am sitting here typing a blog.

Is my tree up? Well about that....you see we had two dogs, we are down to one (more on that another day), but they loved to use my tree room as their own experimental Lake Urine, so until the carpet cleaner can get over here, there is no way I am putting the tree up.

Am I done shopping? YES!! (ahem....yesterday)

Are the lights up on the outside of the house? Ummmm, hubby is traveling...but I did call a place that hangs Christmas Lights. THEY WANTED $1200 to put up a few measly lights outside. But I am going to get to that, I swear....

Christmas Cookies baked? BWHAHAHAHAHAHA, okay I don't even do that one on a good year.

Are the presents wrapped? Nope! But I do have the most amazing color scheme of wrapping paper selected and just waiting for me to get started...

Soooo, what exactly have you been doing there Mrs. Erichson?!? Well, here's the thing...
  • On the first day of December my busy life gave to me....one sick child home with strep throat.
  • On the second day of December my busy life gave to me...make seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the third day of December, my busy life gave to me...one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the fourth day of December, my busy life gave to me...one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the fifth day of December, my busy life gave to me....DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the sixth day of December, my busy life gave to me...cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the seventh day of December, my busy life gave to me...One Blue Man Group, cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat.
  • On the eighth day of December, my busy life gave to me...hubby on a business trip, One Blue Man Group, cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat. 
  • On the ninth day of December, my busy life gave to me... making four signs for Poms, hubby on a business trip, One Blue Man Group, cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat. 
  • On the tenth day of December, my busy life gave to me...one Poms Team Dinner, making four signs for Poms, hubby on a business trip, One Blue Man Group, cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat. 
  • On the eleventh day of December, my busy life gave to me...one Poms State Competition, one Poms Team Dinner, making four signs for Poms, hubby on a business trip, One Blue Man Group, cleaning the garage, DATE DAY WITH MY HUBBY (no complaints on this one), one State Cheer leading competition, one third grade field trip, making seven blankets for Poms, and one child home with strep throat. 
  • On the twelfth day of December, my busy life gave to me....(to be continued...)

Let's see what will make the song?!?
1. Helping the in the third grade class
2. Party in Preschool
3. Christmas Program at the Preschool
4. Hair Appointment
5. Family Portrait
6. Dance Class
7. Cheer Practice
8. Poms Practice

But you see, as I typed this wonderfully full list, I was struck with some perspective.
1. My children are healthy and able to attend school, dance, cheer, parties, take field trips, etc.
2. My husband is blessed enough to have a job that provides for my family.
3. My best friend (see #2) and I, despite five VERY busy children, take time to be together, alone. We are still madly in love, and enjoy every minute of our life together.
4. We have medical care for sick children, and the insurance to cover the costs.
5. We have food, friends, family, laughs and each other...
6. MY LIFE IS FULL, AND MY LIFE IS BLESSED

Now to hang the lights. Merry Christmas everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! This is a mom with to much time on her hands!! Just kidding I love you xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete